2012, We Hardly Knew Ye
It’s just about the end of the year, and it is that time of the year that always leads me to reflect. I reflect upon late family members, choices I’ve made, choices I didn’t make, news of the year, etc. So instead of keeping all of that mashed up in my brain, I’m sharing with you all!
1. Biggest Personal “Sad” Story of the Year – This no doubt came February 1st, as the news came that Monica Dudley, a classmate from our days at Oklahoma State, had passed away in a two-car, two-fatality accident. I still remember the surreal feeling of how the rest of that week went. It still is hard to believe. There are news stories detailing what happened can be found on several news sites from Oklahoma, but one great way that shows the impact of Monica can be found here.
2. The Biggest “Sad” National Story of the year – The choice here was tough. The recent murder-suicide of Kassandra Perkins and Jovan Belcher definitely struck a nerve. The most sobering and heart-wrenching part of this story is that a 3-month old baby girl is now an orphan because of one person’s choice. I have a baby girl, and it pisses me off to know this child’s life was altered by someone else’s selfish act. Other sad moments of the year include the theater shooting in Aurora, Colorado, in which a lone gunman opened fire on people who were innocently watching “The Dark Knight Rises.” Interesting how both stories involves legally-purchased guns, huh?
3. Best Hip Hop Moment of the Year – This had to be when I made the decision to purchase Swoope’s “Wake Up.” This was hands down my favorite music of the year (yes, I liked it more than Lupe’s “Great American…” and Lecrae’s “Gravity”). It was brilliant music, and the best of the year until…
4. Best MUSIC Moment of the Year – …I heard his labelmate Christon Gray’s “Body Art.” The truth is that I actually heard a song called “Lovesick” first, which prompted me to get “Body Art.” The music, lyrics and songwriting on the FREE EP are amazing. I loved every moment, from start to finish. It makes you wonder what Collision Records has figured out, and why others don’t seem to know it.
5. Coolest TV Moment of the Year – This had to be, without a doubt, the moment I cancelled my cable! I decided that it was costing too much to get such crappy stuff on my TV. I made the switch to streaming (Netflix, Hulu, Vudu) instead of paying upwards of $100 for the 3 channels I was using.
All joking aside, its hard not to like this moment. Seeing a guy, born with a “defect” not only perform, but perform well was truly awesome. It was so awesome, that even in a race he lost, his opponents were inspired.
6. Best Movie Moment of the Year – Well, since we don’t really have that big of a babysitter pool, I’m usually relegated to seeing movies at times family is around. In 2011 (before Zarah), I saw at least 6 movies in theaters. Over 10 in 2010. This year?…4: Flight, Dark Knight Rises, Skyfall and The Avengers. So, my best movie of 2012 is…all 4! I’m a big ol’ comic book nerd who loves James Bond films. Win-win for me, except for the fact that I’m now terrified of flying.
7. Strangest Moment of the Year – this had to be when I discovered Greek yogurt. Sound strange, but I thought yogurt was yogurt. But it turns out that Greek yogurt is amazing! It has loads of protein, and makes a great snack when mixed with peanut butter. But alone, it taste like paste. Alas, this is why it is strange…
8. Worse Moment of the year – anytime involving interaction with the people who stay next door to me. Can’t call them neighbors. From arguments over property lines to racial slurs; I can not move my family away from this any sooner!!
9. Worse Movie of the Year – I don’t typically watch bad movies, but I have to give it to Red Tails. I didn’t see it in theaters, but I bought it the day it came out on disc. I wasn’t expecting Hamlet, but since George Lucas was involved I anticipated something of quality. What followed was essentially a 1970s Blaxploitation/80s Made-for-TV/After-school special history lesson/Freshman Production editing job piece of mess! I was so disappointed with this movie. It had literally 0 redeeming qualities. Well, except for this. Yep, the preview is 100x better than the movie.
10. Worse Music Moment of the Year – Anything that involved Nicki Minaj, Future, Lil Wayne, Drake and/or Chris Brown (suckas), Rick Ross, Meek Mill, 2 Chainz, Lady Gaga or Katy Perry. No Carly Rae Jespen?? That was a great moment, but don’t tell on me…
My honorable mention of”good things”for 2012???
1st birthday parties, 80th birthday parties, alma mater BCS Bowl victories, Nissan Xterras, friends starting a blog together, Mindy Kaling, Thunder Up!, Galaxy SIII, Tony Kornheiser podcasts and most importantly, 5-year anniversaries.
Have any thoughts to add? Comment and share.
Until next time…